Thread: 292 Questions
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 08:18 PM   #1
May70

292 Questions

I have a 292 I6 manual 4 speed with the rochester monojet carb, as far as I know its all stock. I bought the truck a few months ago, seemed to run fine when I got it but had barely been driven in years. Not sure if running a lot after years caused some issues.

Ill recap first....
Motor had been leaking oil a long time before I got it, so I was cleaning it up and putting new valve cover/manifold/side cover gaskets in. I also bought a reproduction exhaust manifold and installed it. When I installed it it really did not seem to seal up with just one gasket, the manifold was flat, I checked it with a straight edge. I ended up using two manifold gaskets just to convince myself (not sure if that's a no no). I pulled the distributor and reinstalled it, without checking what the timing was before doing so. The manual I have suggests timing for the 292 manual tranny at 0 degrees. So that's where I put it at and I am 100% sure im not 180 off. I did plug the vacuum line on the distributor while doing so. I also changed the oil and put in conventional 10w-40 as the manual suggested for my temperature range (Coastal Virginia) and I wont drive when its super cold here (coldest is around 10F, maybe a little less in dead winter).

Its idling okay but serious hesitation when you give it some gas. It also has started putting some white smoke out when I hit the gas. I have probably driven it 50 miles in the last couple months, I assume that's more than its been driven in years. Maybe 25 miles since I did all the above and the issues have appeared and got worse. I have good oil pressure and it has never over heated while ive had it.

It hasn't had any maintenance in many years so I am contemplating just pulling the whole thing and rebuilding it with a friend's help, if I can convince him.

My questions are; What are your thoughts on the timing and on the situation?

Thanks
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote