Thread: Brakes
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2020, 12:06 PM   #5
Jeepwm69

Re: Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglowacky View Post
If you are on a tight budget you can just buy the rebuilt kit for the calipers and rebuild them yourself. It consist of one rubber o ring. I bought my kit at orileys for about $6.00. You will need a air compressor and PLEASE watch your figures. DO NOT Get anywhere close with your hands and figures to the caliper when you apply air to pop the cylinder out It will come out with enough force to hurt you. I watched a utube video and it showed how to do it with a small piece of 2x4. very easy . My brakes work fine now. Rebuilt calipers are not expensive if you choose to buy them.
I ordered new rubber lines, figured I would replace those just due to age, and inspect the calipers to see if they can be cleaned up or if they need to be replaced.

I actually just replaced the seals in some Honda ATV calipers, so not a horrible job. I screwed a grease zerk into the banjo bolt hole and used grease to push the piston out. I guess air would work a lot faster and with less mess, but I'm a klutz so would probably end up with an injury LOL
Jeepwm69 is offline   Reply With Quote