View Single Post
Old 12-03-2020, 10:36 PM   #23
LS short box

Re: What does it really take to paint a truck?

So I don't know if this would work for you but here's how I painted my 68.
Thru one of his body guys I met a local body shop owner that is a car guy but as a business owner insurance work keeps the doors open. He would love to do a couple of hot rods every year. I met with him said how about me doing all the dent and sanding in his shop? He looked at me and said what? I was soon retiring and had the time. He was kind enough to come over and took a look at my truck. He said let's go for it. He did make me sign a document releasing him from any injuries while in his shop.
So in my shop I stripped the cab and front sheet to bare steel. I do have 80 gallon compressor so the body shop mixed up the epoxy primer and I sprayed the cab, doors and front sheet metal in my shop to stop any rust.
Then I brought parts to his shop and they supervised me sanding and sanding and sanding until they looked great. Didn't let me use any power tools sanding, I think they liked to see me sweat and I did sweat. I have never done any body work before. The shop did the spray painting and cut buff. The owner made it clear I didn't have the skills for that.
It was a great time. Oh it cost me the cost of materials and more than a couple cases of beer.
Here's a few pics. From the start to the finish as it's sits today.
Attached Images

LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote