View Single Post
Old 10-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
100gold

Worth Restoring- Dad's old truck

My Dad bought this truck in 1984 or so, it had 45,000 miles on it. It lived a pretty good life other than the ol' man was a bit of a pig when it came to the cosmetics. Mechanically though he was a fanatic. It had to drive right and run strong.

It's high point was the fall it headed down to Arizona for the winter with a Roadking in the bed and a 1975 Airstream 31 foot overlander hooked onto the hitch. In helwigs we trust! Can you imagine that pile of true American iron and aluminum? Brings tears to a guys eyes!

The truck is a 72 Cheyenne Super SWB with 350/350 showing on the SPID. Black exterior with the parchment interior.

We found a tach dash in the late 80's and a tilt wheel from the same truck and added both items.

The early 90's brought about a motor and tranny swap to replace the well worn original drivetrain.

Pops was an old hotrodder from way back so when he built the new drivetrain he made it so it'd run. It had a little 425 hp 350 running on a Holley fuel injection system and a hell for stout 700r4 to give it some legs.

He ran that setup for about 12 years or so and then got into a tangle with a horse trailer with no tail lights taking a left in front of him and the little black truck went for a ride out through the borrow pit.

The truck got parked and the drivetrain came out of it for a 28 model A pickup hotrod project.

In 08 the ol' man with some help from the big C decided to lay down and dry up. He left this truck to his best friend and mechanic. The mechanic, with a little prodding from me and my cousin decided he wouldn't have the time nor money to play with it so he sold it back to us.

So, it begins. The rebuild what's going to be the second life of a neat little truck. I'll try and be diligent on keeping you guys updated on the progress but bear with me if I get busy and miss a few weeks.

Here's some pics as she sat in the shed.
Attached Images

100gold is offline   Reply With Quote