View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #74
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Front 10 Bolt Teardown / Rebuild PICTURES!

So what happened to the end of this?
I see a few glaring errors and some un-necessary steps, but the pics of the tear-down are great.
Some of the mis-steps were brought out by others along the way, but I still have a few observations.
First, let me say that the spreader is not necessary.....that's a D60 thing. If it really is that tight, there is too much pre-load on the bearings.
Second, you should not be pounding on the shims to insert them. The whole thing goes in together, shims, carrier, races, all at once.
Third, there is a specific tool for pulling the spindle w/o hammering on it. I have seen many of them damaged that way. Also, don't forget/ignore the bearing and seal inside the spindle.
Somewhere along the line, the locking hubs were replaced. The originals would have been automatics.
Last and most importantly, ring and pinion swapping is not a simple "bolt in" thing. There is a lot of tedious fitting/shimming, removing and re-installing to get the set-up perfect. There is also the need of some rather specialized tools to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote