View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #67
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Re: If you like destruction -

Quote:
Originally Posted by James the III View Post
What heads?? and did you use the correct locks and retainers..
I.E. 10 * retainers with 7* locks..
why it drop a valve??
or did it drop it from valve float.. or coil bind..
Heads are Edelbrock RPM Marine ovals as described in the previous posts. 10* Crower locks & retainers, #87055. Springs were Crower #68363. If if was the wrong retainers, I would think the whole valve (stem and all) would have been in the chamber, not just the head of the valve. Retainers were still intact as shown in the pics. I ordered everything from Crower after talking to them about what heads & cam I was running. Crower SS Enduro rockers. Pushrod length was measured during assembly and ordered accordingly. I'm very confident it was not coil bind, and unlikely that it was valve float, as I'd spun the motor up higher than the rpm that the valve failed and never gotten any indication of valve float. Not to mention both Crower and the guy that did the cam (Chris Straub @ Straub Technologies) said the springs were right for my the cam and set up accordingly. I think given where the valve broke, it was fatigue or maybe the seat wasn't perfect and caused it to fatigue somehow? I really don't have a 100% sure answer, as I am just a shadetree hack at best - which is why I posted everything up to get some opinions. The head itself and the valves were not new (they came off another engine), but all the other hardware was.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!

Last edited by BossHogg69; 02-18-2017 at 09:15 AM.
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote