View Single Post
Old 09-26-2020, 08:59 PM   #16
Redneck Rydes

Re: Psa: Look at those trailer tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
I sure am glad tire manufacturers are required to date code vehicle tires now. It's too easy to forget just how old tires are on a rarely used vehicle or trailer. Then you find out just how old they are when one blows out in the middle of nowhere and ripping the fender off or shredding the wheel well.
While the tires on my camper are way deep in tread they are beyond their safe use. We only use it a few times a year and not at all this year, so far. I cleaned up and readied our camper for use a while back including checking the air pressures. I checked them all and added only a little to a couple. Outwardly they looked good, just like last year.
Well last week I noticed what I thought was cracks in one tire down in the tread area. So I squatted down to have a good look and holy moly. The tread was cracking, separating from the belts, splitting open. Only one tire I thought. Yesterday I got more serious and gave them all a good look over. Ya have to get down there a give em a real good look. Ah, check for that date code we've heard about. One from 2013 and three from 2010. No wonder they're coming apart. All 3 from 2010 were coming apart. And they looked so good at a glance. These are steel belted trailer service tires with 8 or 10 ply rating. I dropped them all off at the tire store for some new boots yesterday.
We don't need any tire failures on the road. They never happen in a good place.
Have a look at those date codes now and then and maybe save yourself a headache and unnecessary repair costs.
This is what happens when tires sit on dirt or grass,I store all my trailers on boards and cover the tires,I even put my tractor in the garage in the winter when I go away and put them tires on boards even on concrete,good catch though
Redneck Rydes is offline   Reply With Quote