View Single Post
Old 08-23-2008, 09:50 PM   #58
jaros44sr

Re: Interest for High rise(pre-runner style?) Fenders Fiberglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordachai View Post
yeah, there's adjustment in where you cut and graft the new opening onto the old fender.
Since yours is forward, I can make the back skin of the fender go all the way to the factory location. That will give you enough fiberglass and metal to overlap at the rear seam.
I'm still looking into different panel bonding adhesives.
I've heard both Duramix and the 3M 2 part adhesives are good.
3M just bought duramix and renamed all of them.
The hot glue sticks I was talking about require an industrial glue gun that heats up to around 350 degree. Most 'high temp' craft glue guns, get to 180 or 250, not enough to melt the stuff. And Apparently to bond an ABC or HDPE panel like on some of the new cars, you are supposed to bomb the plastic panel with a heat gun before applying the adhesive for a better bond.
I think the duramix type adhesives will be more than needed.
Next week or two I'm going to get a few types of duramix and do my own tests. I don't know if many people will do the skin thing, but I'd like to know the best way to attach them.

Not much in the way of pics for right now, I'm waiting to get some metal arches and cups, then I can start on the fender.
Next few days I should have molds for that inner support though, and I'll put up pics
Just watching great builds on the powerblock tv show, and they bonded a metal electric window channel to a fibreglas door on a '55 Chevy. So, some kinda glue must be out there, they said you could use bondo, but I don't think I want to go that route. Let us know what you come up with

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 08-23-2008 at 09:51 PM.
jaros44sr is online now   Reply With Quote