Thread: Frankentruck
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 09:47 PM   #113
cwcarpenter98

Re: Frankentruck

Something that happened a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't post about was modifying the stock air cleaner base to work with the Quadrajet. I hated how the chrome air cleaner looked, but at the time, I had to run it until I could figure something out.

I don't have a welder, but I was able to go up to Jay's (Jhrusk) shop and we modified the base the same way he did his air cleaner. Big thanks to Jay for welding it up and letting me sandblast the lid to make it look nice and stock again.

To start, we cut a piece of steel and formed it into a ring around the throat of the carb. Once that was done, we cut out the center of the base and tacked the ring to the base. Test fit on the engine proved that we needed a taller ring to clear the top of the HEI dizzy. The ring ended up being 3 inches tall to make it fit with a factory, 68 4 barrel intake manifold. Once Jay welded it all up, the sandblaster went to town stripping all the rust off the lid. Because it rained that whole weekend, I had to wait till that Monday before I could paint it. I just rattle canned it in my backyard, but it turned out pretty good.

I think the stock lid improved the look of under the hood a lot.

Thanks again Jay!
Attached Images

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote