View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 10:33 AM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: 54" inch leaf spring!

It is a 4x4 trick for more travel, and can be used for a more comfy ride. Especially when combined with a longer shackle.

Only down side is if you plan to lay down big power axle wrap is a bigger issue now. As when your trying to go up a steep hill if your engine can bend your springs against the power it does have. Also supposedly not the most ideal set up for towing due to less axle control compared to shorter versions. Not a deal breaker, but you can feel a difference.

I did it on a 2wd C20 I had that was dolled up for suspension travel. Kind of like a street version of a Raptor. Originally it had a 14FF with 4.56 gears, and a 300hp 283, and a 2500 stall converter. If I foot braked it from a light I could feel the axle wrap up pretty good, and almost a sling shot like feeling off the line. My case was a bit worse with 60" leaf springs.

New trucks use longer leaf springs, but they are 3" wide vs the 2 1/2 or less older trucks have. Which gives them some of the control back, but shock choices play a bigger roll then before.

Like anything it is a comprise, but can work well for many things.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote