View Single Post
Old 08-03-2017, 09:18 PM   #101
gigamanx

Re: 1949 Chevy with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Wow what a crazy couple of days. Earlier today, I had all but given up on the truck and started thinking of how much I could sell off to make up some of my expenses. I know, dark days. My mind ached from researching transmission types, used vs refurb, craigslist specials, bellhousing types for various years, so much stuff I've basically figured out the most complicated part of any car is probably that little auto trans sitting under our cab. I had realized with the engine and trans situation I still had another few thousand to go before I'd even get a usable power plant. Pretty much blowing my budget out of a reasonable place to make any progress for the next 6 months.

And there, in my darkest moments, the truck gods shone down. I got a call from a local mechanic/trans place after trying to source one close enough for my to drive, therefore cutting down shipping costs. The guy had just pulled a 700r4 from a corvette that was getting an LS3 upgrade. He knew the owner, knew it shifted well, and was happy to offer it for a measly $250.

1 hour later...

thank you lord of steel and oil. Still a few outstanding questions though. I need a tailhousing for it and it looks like my S10 tail shaft is about 3/4" longer. I also need a torque converter but have no idea what a good one is for our trucks.

Today was a good day

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote