View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 10:47 PM   #1
TBONE1964
Cluster King

TIP converting non gauge (warning light clusters to gauge clusters.

Hello all,

From time to time, I get request to instruct on how to wire a full gauge cluster into a truck that was a warning light cluster.

I will try and make this as easy to follow as possible. Please ask questions as needed.

The first thing you need to know is that the actual connector for the warning light and the gauge cluster are the same. The difference is the way the terminals are plugged in.

The first photos I show are diagram photos showing the difference between the way the two are wired. Credit goes to GMC Pauls web site for these diagrams. I use them often.

On the connector, there is 1 - 6 on one side and 7-12 on the other.

Here is what you need to move and what stays the same.

Move the following wires on the connector to change from a warning light to a full gauge cluster.

Move the wire in the number 6 position to the number 7 location.

Move the dark green wire in the number 5 position to 6 location

Number 4 location has no change and remains the same.

Move the number 7 pink wire to the number 3 position.

Number 2 position has no change and remains the same.

Number 1 postion is removed and taped off. You will need to add a wire from the alternator to the number 1 position. (See wiring schematics in service manual or equivalent)

Move the two grey wires in the number 12 location to the number 8 location. These are for dash lights.

Move the number 11 position to the number 9 position.

Number 10 has no change and remains the same.

Move the number 9 position to the number 11 position.

Add a black wire to #12 from the battery. (See wiring schematics in service manual or equivalent)
Attached Images

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C

Last edited by TBONE1964; 10-09-2014 at 11:24 PM.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote