View Single Post
Old 04-04-2016, 12:21 AM   #5
1972BlueC20

Re: TIP converting non gauge (warning light clusters to gauge clusters.

Hi TBONE. I know this post is old but found it super informative since I'm about to do a cluster conversion. I only have a few questions to complete what I need to know before starting the conversion.

1) the new wire that I'll be adding from the # 1 that goes to the alternator, is it a completely new wire that goes from the dash connector to where the current red wire connects to the back of the alternator now? If so do you remove and tape off the exsisting red wire that's hooked to the alternator or do you combine the new wire together with the current wire on the same post at the backside of the alternator? And just add a 4 amp inline fuse on this new line correct?

2) the new black wire that I'll be running from # 12 to the battery....does that hook to the junction block near the battery? Also I add a 4 amp inline?

3) some people say you can use the factory repop tach with HEI even though it says clearly you can't. Can I or not? If not is there a way around this? Tach filter or??

4) best way to run line through firewall for oil pressure?

5) what is the clips called that plug into the dash connector? I'm assuming I'll need 2 of these for the 2 new wires I'll be running for the # 1 and # 12 positions.

If TBONE isn't available, anyone please feel free to chime in.

Thanks in advance!!!

-Brian