View Single Post
Old 04-04-2016, 09:03 PM   #11
ray_mcavoy

Re: TIP converting non gauge (warning light clusters to gauge clusters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972BlueC20 View Post
My other new concern is the temp sending unit. I have vortec heads on my crate engine, so I guess I have 2 choices. Get the 1/2 sensor turned down to 3/8 or install it in the intake and plug the head hole.
Yes, either one of those options should work. I think I've seen a thread or two on this site where folks have turned down the sending units to fit newer heads. And some where they have drilled & tapped the newer heads to accept the 1/2" sending units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972BlueC20 View Post
Also since I have idiot lights now, my current temp sensor has a different plug end than the gauges sending unit type plug end would originally have. What can I do about this ??
Take a close look at your existing connector. Some of them have a little slot in the plastic on the side. If yours has the slot, you can simply turn it sideways and slide it onto the "nail head" type end that's typically found on the gauge type sending units.

If not, it is possible to extract the electrical terminal from the plastic connector housing (similar to what is done for re-pinning the cluster connector) and re-insert it into a housing that is slotted to fit the sending unit.

Here's a pic of the gauge style sending unit and connector (note the slot in the plastic connector housing). The metal terminal is a Packard/Delphi 56-series and will work with either a flat 1/4" blade or the "nail head" type sending units.

Oh, and I forgot to mention earlier that splice (where you need to connect the alternator side of the ammeter) is physically located on the driver side of the radiator support. It should be near the voltage regulator (or where the voltage regulator used to be if yours has been converted to internally regulated).
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote