View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 07:38 PM   #851
Dan in Pasadena

Re: 1956 Chevy Pro-Street Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
This is the latch I used, they can be found used on '85-'92 VW Jettas, Golfs and other models. It is set up for a cable release FWIW.

http://www.yogisinc.com/index.cfm/pa...d/prd13796.htm

Keep in mind that the filler between the radiator and the grille is different on a '56 and '58 so installing one might be a little different. I cut out the oval shape in the filler panel and welded in the lower latch from underneath. The upper latch was bolted to the existing under hood latch plate, only minor shimming and trimming was necessary.

Sorry no other pics and with the truck blown apart I cant go take one for you.
Too bad there are no more pic’s, I’d REALLY like to understand what you did better. But off hand (and not to hijack ptc’s thread - sorry!) is there any reason why this VW hood lower latch couldn’t just be mounted with small ss bolts to the stock ‘55-‘57 filler panel? Yeah, it wouldn’t look as cool as yours that is welded in but would it work? Since it comes cad plated it wouldn’t look too bad. I ask because my filler panell is already final painted.

Also for you, others and ptc (maybe) I once found someone who used ordinary metal desk type locks on the leading edge of his hood to provide a secondary lock/protection against the hood flying open at speed. Up until I saw yours, I was planning to do this too but only after all final adjustments to the hood fitment because there’s little room or error. No cable release, but I can live with that if I can be certain my hood is secure. I’ll see if I can find the old pic and will post it here.
Attached Images

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 12-19-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote