View Single Post
Old 08-03-2022, 09:07 AM   #61
1957 Chief
Proud Vet that loves the USA

Re: Sandy~~1984 C10 L86/4L80 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
I'm traveling down this road right now (L86/8spd in a 93/84), and you're absolutely correct about the LT's being majorly different! Nothing that I have found crosses over.... The aftermarket support is coming, but not anywhere close to where the LS stuff is.

So far we have pulled the motor out of the 93 and are getting ready to place the new setup in with the Dirty Dingo adjustable motor/transmission mounts. I will report back after we get everything placed.
Rob, PM me your phone number when you can. Id like to share some things with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
TY for the info.

I know I'm among the few, but I just don't care for the added complexity the 6/8/10spd autos bring to the table. I'll take a 4l80e any day of the week & live just fine.

Same on the can choice.... Jeez some of the aftermarket stuff seems like it kills the efficiency benefit of the late model combo all in the name of full time big power. I'd prefer a mild bump in power w/minimal or no loss in efficiency.

Was the piston/rod upgrade needed for targeted compression needs or ??
I can see your point on the diff offerings of the transmissions. However the 6L transmissions have come a long way in regards to performance, and the 8-10's are close behind.

What I did learn from this whole experience, is the vacuum signal with the LT motors is WAY different than LS motors. With the direct injection the fuel is squirted into the cylinder versus in the intake runner. Normal injectors increase the Venturi effect in the runners versus the DI motors. Hence the reason GM put the vacuum pumps on the truck motors.

As far as the piston/rod combo, we found a short block that already was built with them in it. Kinda a "peace of mind" when it comes to later performance increases. The factory combo would have done just fine with the performance we have now, however knowing what we could do/might do down the line, it was a calculated decision.

Bubba
1957 Chief is offline   Reply With Quote