View Single Post
Old 03-27-2019, 09:41 AM   #2
rpmerf

Re: Spring Carlisle Swap Meet. Anyone have plans?

I've been going for at least 10 years now. Almost always hit the spring Carlisle. Sometimes hit other shows during the summer.

Prepare to do a lot of walking.

You are allowed to bring in food and drinks. I usually stop at the gas station on the way there, grab a sub, beef jerky, gatoraide, water, etc. so I don't have to worry about prices in the park. There is good food in the park, I'm just cheap. They sell beer there and I've brought beer in.

I wear a backpack and leave a wagon in the car in case I see something heavy I want.

Bring a poncho and umbrella in case it rains.

Bring cash. Large vendors usually take cards, swap meet people don't.

Parking in the official lots is like $10. You can usually park on someone's lawn for $5. Google maps the area before you leave. The park is in the middle of a residential neighborhood.

Keep a decent idea of where you are on the map. The place is huge. You can usually download the event book from the website a couple weeks beforehand. It has a map and vendor list. Use this to plan out where you want to go. You can try to see it all, but you'll realize there is a lot not really worth seeing. Main thing is to remember how to get to the gate you parked your car at. Also where the bathrooms are.

Might want to bring your camera. Lots of cool vehicles there.

Think of what you want to get now. I usually make up a list. If I know I can get it on amazon, summit, or rock auto, I'll write down the specs and price. Show price might be better or worse, but if it's close, I'll grab it. I'd rather support these guys at the show. There are a bunch of vendors that sell tools. Get drill bits, cut off wheels, whatever cutting / grinding bits. Lots of places with electrical stuff - wiring, looms, crimp connectors. Lots of body work stuff. Lots of antique stuff.

THEY SELL SINGLE SOCKETS AND WRENCHES! Good for when you lost one wrench or socket out of a set.

I think I've rambled enough for now...

EDIT: Thought of something else.

If you want something big, like a floor pan, talk to the company a couple weeks before hand to see if they will be at the show. There are Chevrolet and Truck shows later in the summer too. Can really help to save on shipping.

If there are members on the board selling things, they may be willing to meet up at Carlisle. Save on shipping and meet a board member. Double win!
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z

Last edited by rpmerf; 03-27-2019 at 09:50 AM.
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote