View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 02:28 AM   #64
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Re: !965 Chevy C-10 Take 2: Project Tanya

Here is the progress on the bumper so far:

Showing the bumper mostly ground down to bare metal. When I was finished grinding (with a flap disc of course), and running the D/A the whole thing looked about like corner closest to the camera. For an idea of what this thing looked like before I started look towards the top of the page. It was originally chrome that was badly rusted and peeling, then someone had painted over it with silver. Now even that silver had corroded so bad the whole thing looked terrible. Just getting it like this (front and back) made me a happy camper.

Name:  bumper1.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  25.1 KB

Next is showing the rust converter/blocker I painted on. After spraying I saw just how bad it still was so I went back to sand paper. After the sanding, reapplication of the rust blocker, primer, and some satin black paint, it still looks a lot like this (only a lot more smooth) so I didn't bother with another picture.

Name:  bumper2.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  31.5 KB

Here we are the next day after a little finish sanding and the coat of etching primer:

Name:  bumper3.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  36.8 KB

And then several coats of a high build primer. The metal has all kinds of pits and imperfections in it, so I was hoping the high buildd primer might help me smooth some out.

Name:  bumper4.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  37.2 KB

Now just today I got her sanded a bit and my white paint layed down. She is definitely a 5 footer job, mostly because the metal was so rough from all the rust on it. Doesn't seem worth it to me to spend all the time sanding and buffing it as most imperfections will still show through, besides it is just a bumper, and the whole truck is getting rattle canned as a "work in progress" paint job since I don't like the primer look. I'm really happy with it though, sure looks a hell of a lot better than it started.

Name:  bumper5.jpg
Views: 1040
Size:  27.5 KB

Now I just need to wait for my bumper bolts to show up from LMC and I can put this puppy back on the truck.
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote