View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 02:40 PM   #44
webfoot

Re: The project with no name - 1970 K20

Looks like I haven't posted on this in a couple of digit changes!
I had some nagging ongoing issues on this which caused me to not drive it much..
First was the ride.. it was like a 40 year old tractor, and I've spent time in plenty of those.. well the KYB GR-2s I had on it were apparently for a much lighter truck (perhaps a duh moment) and although I had replaced them in the recent past they were all blown out. I replaced them all with Bilstein 5125s and WOW what an improvement. I also added a Bilstein steering damper and that also was a nice upgrade. (over not having one!)
The truck also would not start after sitting more than a day. Well duh - it needs a choke. I put one of those expensive edelbrock ones on for use with a divorced choke. Now it starts in a second or two after sitting out in the cold for a few days.

I installed some shoulder harnesses in it recently, mainly so my 6 YO son could ride in it. He LOVES this truck, maybe more than I do!

Not much to do cosmetically, I do have a redhead steering gear arriving today. anybody know of a steering pump upgrade that would complement the box well? I have heard the earlier ones are over-pressurized a bit. I already have a LWP setup so maybe I'll go to a 1975 model or so since I think the steering system was upgraded by then. This one leaks from the pressure port so its gotta go anyway.

1970 K-20 4-speed, factory AC.
webfoot is offline   Reply With Quote