View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #170
McMurphy

Re: Project Goldilocks, '66 C10 SWB BBW Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
I'm bracing the frame to keep it from twisting down its length. Right now it twist quite easily, much like a torsion bar would twist. The overall goal is to make the frame stiff so that the suspension works as it should instead of the frame deflecting and changing/reducing the effectiveness of the suspension's geometry. I'd like to eventually autocross the truck occasionally just for fun; I really enjoy driving anything that is nimble and responsive but I don't think just bolting on performace suspension parts will get the truck to the level I want it. A stiffer frame should make the truck more predictable, more solid feeling, have less sqeaks and rattles, and give a better overall driving experience. As far as the drivetrain, I'll eventually build an original 250 inline 6 for it, looking to get 350+hp from it. It'll get backed by a T56 six speed and a posi rear end.
Ok all kidding aside, that is an awesome explanation and just made me consider the overall design of the truck all over again. Are you going with the 250ci over the 292ci due to availability of parts or is there another reason? I ask because the 292 should give you a higher base line HP platform to start from, and is still an IL6 and bolts up to everything without adding too much additional weight.

Quote:
Bore the block enough to clean up the cylinders and leave enough meat for any future rebuild.
Balanced stock crank.
Lighten the flywheel.
Eagle forged 4340 rods, 5.7"
Forged pistons, haven't found any "off the shelf" yet. I think it can be bored enough to fit 305 pistons.
Head bolt boss removed from intake port, lump port kit installed.
Larger valves, ported heads, decked for more compression.
Block decked for .040-.050 deck height/quench.
13:1ish compression (will be running E85, 105 octane)
Solid roller cam, wanting it to pull to around 7000-7200 rpm.
Comp Cams Aluminum roller rockers, 1.75 ratio.
ARP main and head stud kit.
Triple Weber/Dellorto 2 barrel side draft carbs, or triple throttle bodies/efi.
6 into 1 header, single 3" exhaust, magnaflow/dynomax straight through muffler? I'll probably go though a few mufflers to get the sound I want, I'm pretty picky about how I want it to sound.
With double or triple carbs, you are still going to go with a 6 to1 exhaust manifold instead of a dual exhaust? I see you are planning on 3" pipe but still.... on the other hand it would help keep the weight down I suppose.
With the dual exhaust there is still the option of installing electric exhaust dumps at an H or X crossover.
No doubt you are planning on a hotter ignition system, if not full electonic?
What are your plans for air flow? Cold air induction, or some form of forced air like a blower or ram air?
And I am guessing you are going to go with the smaller high torque starter as well, or will your flywheel shaving not make that a good idea? I guess the last thing you want to do is disintegrate your flywheel....

I hope to keep up with your engine build a lot easier than I can with the re-engineering of your frame!!

This is going to be a great build...glad I got into it on the first posting !!
Rock on man !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1

Last edited by McMurphy; 01-07-2012 at 04:07 PM. Reason: muddle brained fingers at the keyboard
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote