View Single Post
Old 07-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
Racer2172

Times gone by an old 65 C-10

Ok so the background on this truck. I bought it sight unseen back in 1999, shortly after being assinged to my first duty station in San Diego, CA. It was in my home town back in Colorado, I had asked my dad to find me another 67-72 chevy like the 68 I had in high school the 65 C-10 is what he found for a lofty sum of $700 bucks. After a month or so and having the tailights repaired so the truck was street legal, we set up a plan for me to meet him half way between him and San Diego which was Richfield, Utah. We met up I took possesion of the truck and started my return trip only about five miles into it began to have Carburetor issues, which was headed up Richfield pass when the temps were still rather chilly from what I remember, and when i discovered that the heater core had been bypassed so no heat. I managed to get the truck to run by feathering and pumping the gas rather continously the entire trip back which was close to 500 miles. After running some b-12 gas treatment through it ran great as any old 292 straight six you could ask with 4 on the floor and rather steep rear gears. 70mph was max and any temps over 75 the engine wanted to over heat. I drove it to and from work in San Diego for about 4 months with the clutch making noise, while replacing the water pump, then the fuel pump which filled the crankcase with gas, suprisingly an oil change and fuel pump later it ran but smoked a little, till the cluctch finally gave up the ghost. i pulled the transmission and clutch and later the motor which is the status it has remained in aside from some minor attempts at fixing things here and there. It has been stored inside and outside for the last 13 years now and I have held onto as I want to get it going again for my oldest son who is now 14. Fortunately being stored in CO and now Nevada it is fairly rust free. I found the original owners manual in the glove box along with the build sheet still partialy intact behind the seat. It is my son's truck and will be his first truck provided he maintains good grades and puts in the time and effort to get it running and driving. The only obstacle to that is he lives with his mom and we only get time about 5 weeks a year togethe,r so as long as i can keep him interested we might just get it running and driving by his 16th birthday which is Novemeber of 2014. We did get a good start on things this last week while he has been here. Pictures to come when i get home.
1968 C10 Project Quarantine http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=804800
1980 Buick Regal Dirt Stock car
Racer2172 is offline   Reply With Quote