View Single Post
Old 07-17-2015, 11:37 AM   #21
Dannyboy1966

Re: Engine gets hot at idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac_al View Post
I don't think any of my trucks ever had a fan clutch. I figured the General didn't put them on trucks. (?) Your problem sounds like the issue I have been having with my motorcycle for many years (I know, completely different). It cools fine as long as air is moving through the radiator but in slow city driving it will overheat in a minute. I finally ruled out everything but the radiator. I think that is the trait of clogged radiator; overheating quickly as soon as the air flow slows down. I would bet my money on a bad radiator. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
When you mentioned the PO swapping from a diesel, I wonder if the PO had budget issues. That radiator could have been the "cheapest thing available" so the PO could get a truck that moved under its own power. Your initial thought on the water pump impeller is worth checking. If the current engine was a salvage yard pull, no telling what shape the pump is in.

My truck came with a factory fan clutch. A lot of trucks lost them in the 70's and 80's due to flex blade fans being sold as a way to gain HP and improve gas mileage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed66 View Post
For what it's worth, I've never seen a stock GM truck without a fan clutch.
Cadillac Al, Yeah I think it's old and plugging up, that and the PO had to have changed it out, My GM Heritage build folder says it came out with a thicker Rad.

Dead Parrot, It came out with a thicker Rad from what I'm finding out, I think the PO might have damaged the one that came in it, when he was switching out the Diesel, or when the Diesel blew out it damaged it, either way he went cheap on replacing it, just like he did switching from a diesel to gas.

Blessed 66 your right, from 72 on they came out standard with a fan clutch, only way it came without was if you asked for it and the individual dealers swapped it out before you got it.
Dannyboy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote