View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 09:59 AM   #9
hobo

Re: 53 3100 Project - My first truck build...

Previous owner had told me that the top was chopped 4 inches and the bed had been stretched 7 inches. I think both of these statements were made based on measurements he had seen between weld lines on the A-pillars and on the bed itself. In his defense, these measurements WERE 4 inches between weld marks on the A-pillar and 7 inches between weld marks on the bed sides.

That said, with some help from this forum measuring the window indicates that the chop is only 2.5 inches. Stock window height is 14.5", and I'm measuring 12". I like the subtle chop look, but I'll be needing to make some patterns for the local glass shop to give them some business. Oh well...

As for the bed "stretch", I measure about 75 inches from the front of the bed rail to the rear of the bed rail. This tells me that the bed has been shortened for some reason, not lengthened. With the notched frame, who really knows WHAT has happened with this old girl over the years.

The only decent pic I have of the bedside right now. Notice how short the distance is from the fender to the front of the bed.

hobo is offline   Reply With Quote