View Single Post
Old 11-30-2022, 03:25 AM   #8
chev-obsession

Re: 72 K20 6.0 4l80e swap questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
The THM 350 has an length of 21 5/8 in. to where the tail shaft attaches.
The 4L60E has an length of 23 3/8 in. to where the tail shaft attaches.
The 4L60E 1998 and later has an length of 23 3/16 in. to where the tail shaft attaches.

I failed to find the total length of the transmission / transfer combination. Since you have both post the total lengths of each.

With a nominal 2" greater transmission length, you should be fine, but without transfer-case length I can't tell for sure.
Using your current driveshaft length I could calculate the difference in angle. I can't do the maximum angle unless I know the current angle.

Don't forget the new transfer-cases swing both ways and one is a give away price the other expensive. But you likely know that already.

The speedometer going to be analog or digital?
The rear reluctor ring is not always installed in the 4L80e transmission. The basic rule of thumb is 4WD transmissions up to 1996 should have a rear reluctor ring in the main transmission case. The 1997 & newer 4WD 4L80E transmissions had a sensor provision; however, the reluctor ring in the transmission was left out.
Thanks for the info, I measured my driveshaft… from the center of the yoke on both ends, I get 61”. I forgot to grab my angle finder and the truck isn’t level at the moment.

Speedometer will be analog which if I’m not mistaken I can use the speedometer port on the t-case to drive the 72 speedometer and the vss port to talk to the pcm. My plan was to use the advance adapters 2wd 4l80e to figure 8 205 t case adapter. Seems like that is the way to go. I would be getting the 4l80 and 205 rebuilt. So if I have to swap parts or machine stuff it’s not a big deal to me. The 4l80 I have is the LS version. So I don’t see too many hiccups there.

At this point I am mostly concerned about placement of the engine, trans and t case and what I should expect, that way I can start accumulating parts. If I can keep the t case in the factory location that would be best for me since I could keep the driveshafts the same and not have to modify the t case shift linkage. I know that is not always possible.