View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 08:20 AM   #81
HunterRotten

Re: The Hawaiian Blue 1978 GMC.

HUNTER'S 1978 GMC C15 SIERRA BUILD THREAD

I guess now is time to share a little bit on the progress made on the 454. We took the block down to my dads old workplace, who is being kind enough to let us use this equipment on a block that really didn't deserve it. This is my first engine build of any kind so getting to see all of this was really cool. In the end the block is bored .060 over and has two sleeves installed.

This is the first cylinder that received a sleeve. These sleeves were all installed because of some relatively severe rust damage to the top of the cylinder walls, which can be see in the next picture. I was pretty bummed that the block turned out this bad and we both learned out lessons. Probably should have taken the heads off before leaving but it was cold and we were a long way from home.

Installing the sleeve was pretty straight forward. Take out all the material in the cylinder until the sleeve fits, leaving a step at the bottom so the sleeve doesn't somehow suck itself down into the block and grenade everything later. Little bit of WD-40 and a hammer was all it took.

HunterRotten is offline   Reply With Quote