View Single Post
Old 02-06-2021, 10:28 PM   #14
mick53

Re: Power Brakes, What have you guys used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by popstand View Post
I’ve thought about replacing my steering wheel with an original 47-53. I have an old one that would need restoring. Wouldn’t be too difficult. The problem with an original wheel is that it’s so big, 18 inches diameter. My truck has a subframe and modern power steering so don’t need a big wheel. There are places that rebuild wheels to smaller diameters but would be expensive.

I thought about replacing my column with an original and add one of those chrome bolt on turn signal switches - look cool, kinda like the 50’s. So I bought an original coe column (no column shift) and switch kit but never did anything with it. I’d have to modify the column to connect with my subframe power steering gear but that wouldn’t be difficult. Someday I’ll just bolt the turn signal switch on the old column, put the old wheel on it, and hang it from the ceiling in my garage.

I do like the idea of a tilt column as long as it’s not one of those fat ones. It’s my truck and I’ll do what I want with it. Right?
In my 53-3100 I'm running original column and steering box. I'm using the turn signals and integrated wheel off a 57. They just slide on the 53 column. You can pick them up around here at junk yards for about $20 for the wheel and switch assembly. The switch assembly came on a lot of cars and trucks. You can buy the new internal switch mechanism for about $30. I'm putting a smaller ring on the 57 wheel. I will also run a 1.5 or 2.0 steering quickener inline. I'm running electric power steering inline. No pumps, hoses. pulleys or belts. The column will need shortened because of the dished steering wheel on the 57. That's no big deal because I have to cut a chunk out of it for the power steering and quickener anyway. Thank you for your time.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote