View Single Post
Old 12-17-2018, 12:08 AM   #1
HeloCrewChief

Picked up a 78 Jimmy Sierra Grande

I have been on the hunt for a 87-91 Blazer/Jimmy in excellent original condition the last few months. Wanted something I could throw the dogs and a car seat in besides my Dodge Ram. I stumbled across this 1978 Jimmy down in Southern Oregon. Once I spoke with the owner, I knew I would have to sacrifice my want for an 87-91 and go for this well preserved 78. The gentleman I purchased it from has had it for 38 years. He bought it in 1981 from a Chevrolet Dealer in Mesa, Arizona. He took the Jimmy with him throughout the United States as he moved around for work. It went from Arizona to Colorado to California and finally Oregon.

After sending a deposit in the blind, the previous owner graciously stored it for me until I got back to the states after being gone for work over a month. Needless to say, I was itching to get down there and see it in person. The Jimmy was everything he said and more. The seats have had covers since new. Unfortunately I did find a few split seams under them. No wear in the upholstery. Dash is not cracked. I received a stack of receipts including the original purchase document from when he bought it in 1981, SPID and the owners manual. The front clip received a repaint after an encounter with a deer but, other than that it retains the original Mariner Blue. It is loaded with A/C, Tilt and Rally’s.

I plan on finding an original grille. This seems impossible so far as they are all broken. I might have to combine 2 or 3 to make 1 good one. I also ordered 15x8 solid steel wheels powder coated white from wheel vintiques. Plan on mounting those with 69-72 style caps and 32x11.50 BFG A/T’s. I will keep the rally’s safely in storage. I just think the white wheels will make it pop a bit more. I plan on installing a 69/72 Blue comfort grip steering wheel, finding original blue floor mats and a spare tire cover. Converting the A/C to 134.
Posted via Mobile Device
HeloCrewChief is offline   Reply With Quote