View Single Post
Old 08-14-2019, 10:06 AM   #1
64beater

Crate motor vs. original 283

[let me know if this should be posted in the factory original thread]

Here is my situation - do I keep the original numbers matching 283 out of my truck after dropping in a crate engine? Does the "original engine" make that much difference once a one of these trucks starts down the resto-mod path?

Back story - I am finally getting this old truck close to back on the road. The engine hasn't run right since I've had it. Working through a bunch of issues, we've found the distributor was on backwards and the shaft broke off, oil isn't getting to the top of the engine, the cam is rounded off, we have push rod issues, and on and on. Rather than more good money after bad, we decided a fresh start might be the easiest and quickest path to success and in went a crate 350/290 from Chevy Performance with a nice warranty.

So, back to my dilemma - what do I do with the old 283. The goal isn't a concours quality restoration and we've veered away from completely stock - disk brakes, lowered, exhaust, modern wheels/tires, etc. - but the 283 is the original engine that came with the truck. I don't plan to sell right away but, if/when I do, would rebuilding a numbers-matching engine add that much value? The real question - is it worth the hassle I'd get from my wife leaving the old engine in the garage until the funds are there to do the rebuild?
64beater is offline   Reply With Quote