View Single Post
Old 11-17-2014, 09:57 PM   #12
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Re: K30 Downgrade to Cummins Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by COS399 View Post
Looking forward to following this one.
Glad you are going to follow, I see you have done the same swap but more complicated so you probably have good tips for sure. 1st question, what did you do for a xmember?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
And if you have the 4 leaf HD stock springs, they take the weight with no issue.
I will have to wait and see. I hope the frame on this truck is beefy enough. I have a feeling looking at pics it is not nearly as strong as my 01 2500hd but that thing has a dump truck frame and is arguable overbuilt. Looking for opinions on that, I would like to just "drop" the engine in and go. I just need to measure it and see what the moment of inertia is I guess and go from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Hopefully all the snow you guys keep getting doesn't delay the shipment too much. Cost is a huge consideration in any swap and I won't argue that. So overall cost compared to the BBC already in your truck is a no brainer. But over all usage and being happy in the end, I can't see how the 5.9 won't do an over all better job.
Good to know you guys are still endorsing the 6bt. I guess the main thing I want is to not fart around with an intercooler, at least for now. That said, can my 90 non I/C engine with pump mods hold 40 mph in the mountains with 14000lbs in tow? THats really all i need. I think the pump was turned up on the 90 6bt since it would pour black smoke if you laid on it. Also it felt about as quick empty as my 6.0 chevy empty, maybe not quite as fast but not a dog either.

Cost is a wash either way, I have the diesel engine, tranny, tcase combo here and can fab anything needed. Truck won't need body work or suspension work hopefully. No I/C, no trans controller, what am I missing, seems like it will be cheap? Maybe a special oil pan or lift to clear the front pumpkin? And some guages. Engine doesn't need anything besides maybe a KDP check/fix and a gasket or two. I will rebuild the g360 and reseal the np205 myself.

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6

Last edited by Vintage Windmills; 11-17-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote