View Single Post
Old 12-29-2016, 09:06 PM   #106
MMcMasters

Re: 1970 Med Olive Project

The holidays are over, it's time to get my butt back in the shop and get to work. We got the Transmission finished up yesterday. I probably should have went with a 4L80 but I had a 4L60 core given to me. I spent some $$ to beef it up. 5 pinion planetary, higher capacity 3-4 drum with better clutches, Kevlar bands, hardened sun shell, 300m input and a Transgo HD shift kit. It should hold up just fine at my power level even though I tend to beat on my stuff pretty hard. I also got a precision 3200 converter. The transgo recalibration kit eliminates the pulse width modulation.

This was an early 4l60 and I'm working out the little details as far as flywheel spacing to the converter. I had to change the bellhousing and I ended up with with a 4l80 flat flexplate with a spacer. I had to open up the converter mounting holes on the flexplate a little as well. There are so many variations of the 4L60 it will make your head spin. If I had hindsight, I would have just bought a new gearstar level 4 and been done with it.

My son cleaned everything up tonight and painted it. Things should start moving at a faster pace soon. Once we get the engine/trans in and verify pinion angles, I will order my driveshaft. I plan to finish plumbing the fuel system and trans cooler and building the exhaust next. Then it's time to start swapping the body over to this chassis.

70 Med Olive build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=714804

Instagram- protouring66
MMcMasters is offline   Reply With Quote