View Single Post
Old 04-14-2019, 01:14 AM   #273
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s ‘79 - 2WD BLAZER Challenge over in London, England. “~It’s not a Project

Having lived here since September 2010, yes, time certainly flies and the world has changed somewhat, there has been a procession of used deck furniture, chairs, tables etc.

And when we rebuilt the deck, I carried the chairs and table down to the bottom of the garden, in order for them to be out therapy.

The table, which I got from Mickey two years ago as a cast off, started to self destruct.

Fortunately I had a plan.

@CraigRK had found me a wooden garden gate plus one that was cut up, when he went to buy some wooden garage doors last year, or was it this year? Yes, last year.

Delivered them and I stored them knowing the deck needed replacing.

So yesterday I started off by cleaning up some more of the old decking timbers, angle grinder on hand to cut back some of the embedded nails as there were some weird galvanised nails used that one just will not shift despite all sorts of encouragement.

Carried the gate up to the house followed by the wood and all the tools.

Hail and rain and a freezing breeze saw me in 5 layers again till about midday.

Cleaned up wood.

Amazingly, this stuff looks like new, except for old stains and water marks.

Bit of trimming here and there.

The biggest problem was actually what style of legs and support I was going to add.

A-Frame shaped trestle legs, straight with jointed sections or what.

As I tend to use furniture as load bearing tools.

In the end I decided to not go with the loose trestle style, but to attach it all, with cross braces and then again, braced diagonally and attached to the table.

I had o relocate some of the gate bracing in order to move the legs inboard from the sides so one can seat 8 people comfortably around it, this is what happens when you have a group BBQ here.

Sally had a day with friends, and Bear her dog, so I was alone, and able to get on with the job, with the occasional chat to Mickey next door who needed some tools, and was fitting cut bricks to his newly decorated and recessed electric fireplace.

We also agreed to remove 25 foot of the hedge between our homes and replace it with concrete posts and gravel boards plus 6 foot panels in order to regain about a meter of my property next to the deck.

Won’t look good till my eyes get used to it, but needs to be done.

Legs, cross braces in position.

Diagonal braces in position too.

Table looking skinny.

Done.......!!

Well, it was meant to be done.

Then realised it looked pretty rubbish.

So went to the pile of good decking and pulled a board out, they are 35mm thick.

Screwed one to the table top and ran the circular saw down the length, guided by the centre groove, and made some sides to screw on and tidy it all up.

Screwed the sides on and then fetched the belt sander because it’s never really done, is it.

I had planned a simple, rustic table to use on thendeck.

Wrong.....!!

It was turning into a bigger job again.

And finished.

Or was it finished??

Errrrrmmmm.......??

Nope.

More to come.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote