View Single Post
Old 01-19-2021, 12:11 AM   #10
msg

Re: Power steering column install on a 66 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 View Post
I noticed a few problems. Nothing major though. The small plate with 2 “V” notches needs to be flipped over. The linkage rod fits through the hole and the V notches gives the plate a small bite on the rod to hold it secure. I realize that your pre-teardown pics show it with the V like you have it, but that’s not correct. Also, the lock washer goes under the nut, not under the plate.

Your rebuild looks correct. When your column shift arm is pulled towards the steering wheel, the detent releases because the lower shift arm moves downward. That’s why there’s a large space above the lower bearing.

The clip and spring must be slid onto the steering shaft prior to sliding on the column sleeves. That lower spring keeps the shaft from pistoning inside the column sleeve. It should touch the lower bearing with only slight tension. Not much at all.
Thank you! Ill revisit this tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by val1gonzales View Post
The spring goes on the end of the shaft. If you look through the pages of the assembly manual you will find a section on how to adjust it when assembling.

Thanks Val, I have the assembly manual and shop manuals. Ill look closer to find the section for the adjustments. That assembly manual is kinda tricky to navigate.