View Single Post
Old 02-04-2015, 09:30 AM   #15
HSRACER

Re: What to bring on 1000 mile road trip with a truck I've never seen?

I have done what you are doing two times. One was uneventful and the other was not! Picture yourself stranded in the middle of know where at 2am with no light no cell phone reception and no traffic to help you. Bad deal.

I eventually limped into a Walmart parking lot and went in to buy the following things. I would recommend you go to a similar store and purchase these before you start your trip.

In the automotive section they had a perfect compact mini hydraulic jack with 4 jack stands built into a plastic carrying case with a nice handle. I still use this setup when I do the hot rod power tour. I also bought a cheap case of assorted tools that are self contained in a plastic case and a really good flashlight. The last thing I bought was a quick fix electrical kit that included terminals, ends, and wiring pliers.

I carry all this stuff anytime I am traveling over a couple of days so you won't be buying things you will never use again.

My bad trip included a burnt starter wire at the starter in the black of night and a rear u joint the next night. After getting the above tools I could repair the truck myself after it was on the stands everything was easy to get to.

Here is hoping for an uneventful trip with the exception of great memory's!
Patinaed 67 LS stepside
Supercharged 67 Nova
Bagged 69 Suburban Turbo'ed 5.3 LS
HSRACER is offline   Reply With Quote