View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #15
Jimmer

Re: 88 V30 fiberglassed dash and custom gauges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
The dash turned out nice. From the pictures, it looks like you may have used too much hardner in the body filler. If you use less hardner, you will have more time to work it and feather the edges when you are spreading it. That means less sanding. The picture below shows what you don't want it to look like when you are done spreading. When it starts to pull and make clumps and pin holes, stop. You may have a whole board of filler, but it is easier to throw it out and start with a fresh batch. You may also want to get a "cheese grater" to give it a rough shape before you start sanding. You should be able to find a cheese grater at a Home Depot type store near the drywall tools. It will look something like the pic. Run the cheese grater over it when the filler sets up and is tacky. If you are taking clumps off, it isn't set up enough yet.

That is true...that was a "i have some on the board...let's use it" moment..plus it was about 30 degrees in my garage! As mentioned a Huge learning experience. I do need to get a cheese grater...would have helped. I appreciate your comments...there is ALWAYS something to learn!

Last edited by N2TRUX; 02-15-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote