View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 01:19 AM   #32
tucsonjwt

Re: Looking for my Dad's truck My dads 1978 Chevrolet Pickup Ontario

A long shot, but why not explain your situation to your local elected provincial representative and see if he can help you with the motor vehicle department search.

If you know the approximate month/year it was sold, then I would think there is way to cross reference/search your father's name on the title - which would give you the VIN. Once you have the VIN, the current owner could be found. I would obtain a copy of your father's death certificate, and your own birth certificate, which would show your legitimate relationship to him and validate your reason for the search.

Not to be a wet blanket, but depending on when the vehicle was sold, the environment in your area (i.e. salt = rust), the chances of finding that truck in good condition or even repairable condition are slim, IMHO.

I have noticed several forum members rebuilding their dad's old truck as part tribute and part sentimental value - which is a worthy pursuit. Most people would not understand this, but it is money and time spent as well as any other diversion.

If you strike out, I would suggest getting a rust free body and building it to the exact picture you have of that truck in your mind. There are still a lot of rust free 78 bodies here in the sunbelt, and transportation to your area is probably around $800. Importing it to Canada is not very difficult on an old vehicle (from what I read on the net), and probably worth the effort.

Good luck.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote