Thread: Johns 66
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2017, 12:47 AM   #5
Johns 66

Re: Johns 66

So what I am I going to do with this truck now?

Well I have had almost a week to think about this very same question and have come up with a list of a few small things I want to do since this seems to be a very original truck....Unless the engine numbers don't match etc...

Unless I find out otherwise I think its the original motor, tranny and body so for that sake I am going to try the best I can to keep it as original as I can stand....

So my plans are this...The truck has an aluminum grille in it...I am going to find a steel grille and have it chromed and replace it...Chrome is way better to me and easier to take care of...and unless I can get the original grille chromed then I will make the swap.

I am considering putting an automatic transmission in it...a 700R4...along with a factory automatic steering column out of a factory auto 66 truck..Im sure there are some out there. I know it wont be original since the tranny will be different but I will keep the original tranny and steering column for the future.

Since it is Alabama I am also considering putting in Air Conditioning....Matt from MCB a vendor here has given me a great price on a unit...But I am kicking it around and deciding if I can find an original 66 A/C unit to put into it...this just depends.

Lastly I am going to add power steering, again I am going to try and find an original power steering unit and pump...not sure if it will be cost effective etc.....

Other than having the truck painted and replacing the original bed wood that's pretty much it...maybe a retro Stereo...just not sure yet. Also not sure If I will go with stainless strips or have the original ones painted back black like factory.

There is one other thing that I will do to this truck but it was not factory..I am going to install door switches that control the dome light...so open the door and dome light comes on, close the door and light goes out...This is more for safety reasons at night.

Brakes work extremely good, so not replacing to discs as of now.
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote