Thread: Johns 66
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2017, 09:49 AM   #22
Johns 66

Re: Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I know a guy has to be careful so things don't snowball, but while the engine is out, I would replace the oil pump and pickup as well as the timing chain and gears.
Thanks for the suggestion...My brother in law will be helping me do this when the time comes.
He is way more knowledgable than I am in this area...he said that he would be able to tell some things once the motor was out of the truck.
I know he mentioned changing oil pan gaskets...he wants to look at the bottom end when we do this.

I have heard that you can flush the motor with diesel fuel when you are doing things like this so I may try that as well..

I think the timing chain will have to come off anyways so it will probably be a wise thing to do now that I think about it and since the oil pan will be off Ill do as you suggest and change the pump and pickup as well.

The truck has been running rich since I got it and I tried to adjust the carb...not sure that I really did anything so I may either rebuild the carb or have it rebuilt before lutting the motor back in the truck.

While the motor.is out I am going to clean up the engine bay area...maybe paint the inner fenders etc....just depends on how things are going.

But I really do appreciate your input and knowledge.
There are several things I am thinking of doing...mainly power steering and maybe disc brakes but this issue came up first so that is where I am.goimg.to start
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote