Thread: Johns 66
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2017, 11:14 PM   #23
Johns 66

Re: Johns 66

Well been doing a little to my old truck. Mainly some cosmetic kinda stuff.
Pulled the rear view mirror off and tried to clean it up...The bracket cleaned up really well but the mirror I think is gonna have to be replaced. It looks like it is separating a little bit and is hard to see out of at night.
I ordered a new one from Brothers Truck Parts...I'm guessing it will be here in a week or so..no hurry...I did order a couple of other items. I ordered a new pump for the windshield washer fluid and when it gets in I am gonna get that fixed..not planning on using it much but still want it working.

I have also been doing some research on door jamb switches...I would like the interior lights to come on when the door is opened...mainly a safety feature at night...and I also looked at adding some footwell lighting as well.

Lastly I have been doing research on a variety of things and wanted to get some different opinions on it.

I am going to pull the motor because the front and rear seals are leaking...When I do that I will replace all the gaskets, change the seals, rebuild the carb since it is running way rich as well as cleaning the engine bay up and painting the motor back the original color.

Since my truck is pretty much original except some cosmetic things I am torn about changing much...My friends all suggest adding disc brakes for safety. I am highly considering adding power steering. I would really love to find an original power steering unit since it was offered in 66 but am having a hard time finding one.

I have also considered either changing out the rear end gear since it is way to low for cruising around or changing the transmission to a 700R4...again I would want to use an original automatic column but am unsure at this point if it would work with that tranny.

So if ya have any suggestions, input or advice it would be greatly appreciated....
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote