View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 01:05 AM   #39
66LSx

Re: 4bt cummins swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Submarine View Post
BTW, I'll again add that I'm not saying the diesel thing sucks; I just think that it's a little over-glorified today.

The 292 in stock form is rated @ 153 net HP @ 3,600RPM; no problem holding it wide-open there until the sun burns out. It's a truck engine, and that's what GM designed it to do.

The 4BT normally makes something like 105HP @ 2,300RPM from what I'm reading; it's also a truck/tractor engine, and can also do that until the sun burns out.

292 wins hands-down here IMO, as it makes pretty much 50HP more than the 4BT does--a 50% increase in power!

A jacked-up 4BT will make more power than the 292, but it also might melt it's pistons out pulling a long hill running wide-open. Likewise, you could also put a turbo on the 292 (or otherwise hot-rod it) and push it until you start finding the weak links. Just my opinion, but those are my thoughts on the matter as of right now.

Its more important to look at the torque vs. RPM curves here guys.

A 292 (even being a I-6'er) will still have to get some spin on it to do anything grunt worthy. (Actually turns out to be a 1100 RPM peak difference)

The 4BT you'll idle right out on anything.

115 hp at 3,400 rpm and 215 lb. ft. at 1,600 rpm

4BT
105 hp @ 2,300 rpm and 265 lb-ft @ 1,600 rpm

in some delivery applications.... 292's were removed and replaced with 4BT's.... (IE the stepvan most 4BT's are found in)

I have a hard time believing that even with the right gearing a 292 could push this (see below) down the road at 60 MPH. (This is what I found my 4BT in on my 1947 Ford diesel 1.5 ton project... and yes I drove it home.... the 4BT in my van replaced an existing 6.2L diesel and was mated to a TH 400)

If you've never owned/driven a diesel pickup.... your wasting your time trying to really describe... there two way different animals.

Take the big brother here guys... the 6BT 12 Valve... a 190HP, 440 ft-lb ft of torque engine.

Take a 6.0L LQ9 LS engine.... same torque, twice the HP.... it should be better right?

The 12V will pull the house down over the 6.0. At a slower speed yes... but at 30,000 lbs.... 12V 6BT diesel > 6.0L LS gasser

Differentiate what they really are guys...... 4BT: A puller meant for work.. and in stock form.... a MPG sipper if you have extremely favorable highway gearing. 292: An occasional puller capable of running out empty to highway speed without any issue or concern for gearing in most platforms.

The 4BT 'rarity' now leads to its increase demand in price. For the same amount of money... I went LS.... will get similar mileage, blow the doors off of the 4BT in a race, and be able to pull from a stop about the same. (yes... about the same... even though I have x2 the HP and torque.)

Now my 5.3L LS vs. a 292..... pulls harder from a stop, faster, better mpg etc.

If the 292 is in there and free... and your not looking for a project.. leave it.

If your pulling off idle more then cruising..... 4BT

If your looking for win/win/win in regards to $$$/mpg/tow ability - today - its the LS.

Tomorrow.... is a new day... a new fad.... different generations of motors becoming available in the junkyard and new technology every day... who knows.

one thing I know for sure... beer is good
2012 GMC Sierra 5.3L 4x4 CCSB
66LSx is offline   Reply With Quote