View Single Post
Old 07-11-2022, 08:54 PM   #87
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Who Sells This Under Dash Valence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
....Better yet, just drive your cab up to Detroit and we'll make you some parts
I'll be right over!

So if I'm to build the part from a strip of say 1/4" plywood and make the bottom curve from a portion of a shipping cardboard tube - how would you mate those two different materials? Maybe cut a "rabbit" into the plywood and glue the portion of the tube to the plywood? OR I could make a 90* lower edge instead of a rounded edge using small aluminum angle iron much like I'll have to use to make a flange to bolt the valence to the underside edge of the dash.

Then I am concerned about how to transition smoothly from the flat panel following the curve of the dash to the upper kick panel? I'm thinking maybe a segment of a large diameter PVC or ABS pipe? Possibly curving a piece of sheet metal - again the concern about how to attach it to the plywood - HD construction adhesive?

I can tell making the part with differing curves, etc is the real chore. If I get them to hang together well enough to bond fiberglas cloth to them then they will be together forever.

General question: Are you guys more in favor of painting it body color or upholstering it to match my light saddle interior? Upholstery could hide a multitude of errors I suppose.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote