View Single Post
Old 06-11-2023, 09:46 AM   #769
TKCR

Re: Bench Seats, Having them Reupholstered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSoaked View Post
Well crap. Discovered today my 85 seat is literally falling apart. The lower horizontal bar has detached. Also noticed the back foam seems to be attached to the frame. How is this replaceable? @TKCR, is this fixable? If not, can you PM me. I have questions on getting a rebuilt unit from you. Looking to change to black. Thanks
Yeah it’s fixable, I get those a lot. Just have to weld it back up. It was a poor welding job from GM. A lot of them I noticed that only the front half of the bar was welded, nothing on the backside, which was probably the most important side since that is where all the weight goes. But in all reality, the weld needed to go clear around the entire bar. There were some that looked like they were just tac welded, and that was it!
The foam on the back, since it’s attached, would just need repaired versus replaced.
What you found, is typical on almost every seat I repair & restore. That why I restore the seats the way I do. Most upholstery shops wouldn’t care about this stuff. Most people were never even aware that their bar was even broken.
Last pic shows the typical GM weld missing on the backside of the seat sack bar.
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote