View Single Post
Old 12-31-2007, 03:06 PM   #1
7T2

12,000 LB jackstand...NOT!

Just thought I would pass along this bit of information I discovered while preparing to work on a "bigger" truck. If you're like me, you probably blow off the instructions for simple stuff like jackstands, thinking you already know how to use them. Well, what I have discovered is that if you go into a place like Harbor Freight or Auto Zone or wherever and buy a pair of jackstands, they typically are good for their rating IF YOU USE THEM IN A PAIR. They don't usually say this on the box, so I would imagine a lot of people would assume that when you buy a pair of 3000 pound jackstands that each one is rated for 3000 pounds. In the case of Harbor Freight jackstands, they only tell you in the middle of the instruction book that they are only good for their rated capacity in pairs, meaning each individual jackstand is good for 1/2 of what it says on the box.

TSC is worse, because they actually sell individual jackstands. There is a label on them that states they must be used in pairs, but it is nowhere near as big as the 6 TON marking on the arm of the jackstand.

Be careful, and make sure your jackstands are rated for what you think they are rated for, don't just assume.
1969 Chevy C10 Short Bed
1972 Chevy C10 Long Bed *SOLD*
1996 C3500 Dually *SOLD*
7T2 is offline   Reply With Quote