View Single Post
Old 10-29-2019, 11:01 AM   #887
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Re: "Crewcab Jake" the 84 to 74 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
My experience has been on a 2wd truck you have a couple of ways to improve braking. First and foremost make sure the stock brakes are functioning properly.

In front, the next step up from stock are the Wilwood D52 replacement calipers. These do require replacing the stock rubber hose, but that should be done anyway. You will need a braided stainless thats available from Summit racing. Combine those with Summit slotted rotors for a nice look and improved braking.

If you have a bigger budget, spend it on 13" (or bigger) Wilwood rotors and 6 piston calipers. This will make a noticeable difference in stopping ability, and dramatically reduce brake fade.

In the rear its hard to beat the factory 2.25 HD drum brakes. Replace the wheel cylinders and use quality shoes. Unless your going to upgrade to 13" Wilwoods with 4 piston calipers, dont waste your money on anything else.

I know ill get heat for saying this, but the 2.25 HD drums will out perform any of the small disc brake conversions.
Ken,
the brakes appeared to work good when purchased the truck, everything appeared to work as should,just slow or "old".... like me! My thought is that I would "update" the brake booster (honestly just for looks), mastercyl., prop. valve so all is in the same area (move prop valve away from factory location) - why? I guess I just don't like it there.... My thought is that the front brakes would be a rotor upgrade with "performance" pads. the rear was to make asthetic looks with disks - assumed that disks were a given upgrade. I do better with disk brakes for maintainance than drums. I guess drums can look good behind a fancy wheel. I know I will have to modify brake lines and such to move these items. I will give some more thought to the options, I may just replace certain items & keep it all stock... As always, I value the feedback from you and the board! there are many great minds on here...
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote