Old 04-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #90
cjracing15

Re: Tbi swap build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
wow...thanks for the quick responses...

A few more questions:
What is a:
DRAC, KS, Air diverter valve, ESC, and EGRV?

Sorry I am very new at this FI stuff

After further review, I might put an TBI adapter plate on my current manifold instead of changing intake manifolds. What are you thoghts on this?

Where does the Charcoal canister go? Is it in the return line to the fuel tank?

As for the camshaft..It is an Edelbrock R/V cam...very mild...do not have the specs with me but can let you know Friday.

If you recomend a factory harness.....I was looking on e-bay and found the harness, TBI, computer and all sensors off a 89 chevy truck. He also has the fuel tank. I might go this route...I still dont know for sure.. can you explain pros and cons of both??

I will be looking for a stock tbi fuel tank because my fuel cell does not have a return line. I would also like the truck to run when it is on its side, happened 3 times already

The 4x4 does not have to have emissions and is not street driven. What sensors should i get rid of and which ones do I NEED?

If I need to get the computer re-programed who can do this, or do I just order a chip for it?

Thanks again for all this great info and the fast replies. i hope this thread keeps going, it has tons of GREAT info.

P.S. Does anyone here live in Colorado?
I have read that people have had very good luck using adapter plates on there swaps.

The canister goes on the driver side is usually mounted on the fender or core support. Mine has three ports. One goes to the gas tank, one is a vent, and the other goes to the tbi.

If you are going to have to buy one anyway I would go with a howell harness. I used a factory harness becaue I had it already. One from an 89 truck will work you will still need a computer and a distrbutor. Like I said in the other post there is a complete setup on the site right now for sale in the clasified section.

The pro for me on using the factory harness was cost because I had it. Plus once you have to sort all the wires to fit it to your truck you will really get to know how the system works.

The con of course is TIME. It takes time to sort all those wires and then run them in a way that looks good. With the howel harness it is just about plug and play.

You just about need all of the sensors for the system to work like it is suppose to. You can get rid of the egr valve I guess but you will have to get a chip made wiht the egr turned off. But I think you are going to need that done anyway because of your cam.

Then that brings us to the computer and chip. I am useing tbichips.com . Check out that site. This guy is awsome.

Again how about some pics of your truck?
1977 SWB stepside
1949 Chevy truck