View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #21
yousesteers

Re: "Brown Truck" 1984 K30 Crew Cab

Once the motor was mounted up it was time to wire the engine up this was doen with a combination of existing stock wiring and some new wire. There is only one wire that has to be in place to make the 12 valve cummins run and that is the wire to the starter solenoid and I just used the factory wire off the old starter . I decided to use the electric fuel shutoff solenoid to use this it requires 3 wires: 1 ground, 1 that is hot with the key on I used the distributor wire for this, and another for the pull curcuit. To wire the pull circuit It is a heavy 8 guage wire that is run thru a relay to activate the relay I went to the start and made the reley activate when the starter was engaged this makes the pull circuit activate when the starter is engaged. I decided to use the fuel shut off solenoid for when my wife or someone else drove the truck they would not have to find a pull cable to shut the truck off. For all the guage needs I ran Chevrolet senders in the Cummins blocks therefore running my Factory dash guages. I then built a bracket and machined a pulley to run the Chevrolet alternator and used the factory wiring for that but did have to lengthen the wires.

I then ran my fuel lines I used the factory fuel lines in the frame and then ran rubber across the cross member to the lift pump. I used the same fuel tank and lines with out any changes to the system.

I then bled the fuel and reinstalled the front clip. With the front clip installed I put the radiator back in I decided to use the 4 core Chevy Radiator on the bottom hose I used a hose off a Case IH tractor cut to fit I can get the Part # if any one wants it. and onthe top I used the cummins top radiator hose cut to fit.

Once the radiator was in I mounted the intercooler out of the 1996 Dodge into the Chevrolet. I mounted it upside down this made it easier to fit and less cutting to the radiator support. I used the factory dodge intercooler tubes and boots I had to clock the turbo outlet about 90 degrees to get everything to line up. This worked good.

After the radiator and all was installed I did some measuring and came up about 2 inches short of getting the mechanical fan back in the stock location so I decided to put in electric fans in I decided to run 2 flexalite 14 inch fans side by side. I used Summit racing controllers to runn the fans. I would llike to say these work great but I put them in the thermostat bypass tubes thinking they would get enough water circulation there to open up and kick the fans on but they do not I have ordered another way of mounting them and will let you know how that works when I get them put in the new location.

Next I mounted the Dual batteries to and had new battery cables made out of 0guage cable by a local repair shop I grounded each battery to the block and put plenty of gornd straps to the body and the frame.

With all this done and the fluids all filled and checked it was time to start the motor it started off the first tiem with out a hitch. The first time I let it run for about an hour and kept an eye on everything it all seemed to be ok and ran great sitting in the shop I could not drive it as I did not have any driveshafts in it at that time.
1966 IH Scout has been a work in progress for 16 yrs
yousesteers is offline   Reply With Quote