View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
Terrysch

Re: New to the Blazer side!!!

Agree on the windshield frame. Extremely hard to find a good used one if you but a Blazer that needs one.

The other unique challenging area and parts are the hatch parts. Not the hinges or the struts.

The center handle mechanism and the side latches. But rippen, Dwayne, is THE member resource for all of the hatch parts. Great guy. He even rebuilds these parts.

The other most difficult part is the steel internal support. It is inside the fiberglass hatch. The handle mounts to it with the weld nuts on it.
Almost all of them are rotten. If you have to replace it you have to split the hatch. Which is a Big Dang Deal. No repops or good used ones to buy. I am having one fabricated.

The other part that is almost always bad is the center mechanism cover. It is at the bottom of the hatch. No repops or good used ones. But not hard to have one fabricated.

On the side latches, a lot of times one of the 2 weld nut breaks loose, inside the hatch, so then it is a major pain to remove the side latch then, I wrecked the side latch bracket removing on of mine.

The other challenge with the center mechanism and side latches in finding a place to re zinc coat them after stripping. Our low volumes for this process is the challenge.

I just went through all this on my 72 Jimmy. My resources were a friend who does restorations, and rippen Dwayne. A lot of this knowledge is from him. I gave Dwayne the credit.

Terry
Terrysch is offline   Reply With Quote