View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #89
Stepside Jim

Re: 1957 Chevy truck re-rebuild

Although I like the idea of moving the gas tank out of the cab, for now I want to run the truck with the tank in the original place, in the cab.

One issue I have is the size of the fuel line use in the original sending unit. It is a 5/16" fuel line, along with this size line there are a couple very tight bends and a brass fitting attached that brings it's inside diameter down to a 1/4". I'm sure this is not enough flow to support the needs of the engine.

There are a couple ways to do this fix and being me, I'd chose the more time consuming way of doing it, so here goes.

Here's an idea of the original sitting along side of most of the pieces used to make the new one.

Once finished I had a new 30 ohm sending unit and a 3/8" fuel line with no down sized fittings along the way. I could install a 90 degree fitting as the line leaves the tank but since there is nothing in the way above the tank, I'll leave the line with a smooth bend.

Once the unit was finished I used a 12 battery to test the guage and sending unit together.

From empty to full............

Stepside Jim is offline   Reply With Quote