View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 10:45 AM   #10
PBFAB.COM

Re: "Budget" air kit definitions please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
No argument here from me, but I'll give you an insight into why i feel that way;
When I started messing with air was during the peak on mini-truck craziness, when the Thorbecke Bro's were still "suicidedoors", and when things like air-cylinders and shockwaves barely existed. Now at that time, the majority of sleeve bags being used were the oldschool Firestone's, or the overseas version of the same thing. When those bags were compared to the quality of something like a Slam RE-series (with internal bumpstops and all the goodies that weren't market-standard)...they just didn't compare.

Not to mention the issues folks would report about thin or easily damaged outer sleeves, the metal collars separating, and those bags not standing up to hopping or c02 setups.

I know that sleeve bags have certain fitment advantages, and that semi's use them and all that...but personally I just haven't been firsthand impressed with sleeve bags in general.
I understand your opinion, and respect it for sure. I just don't agree with it and can't set back and let my beloved sleeved bags suffer unjustified abuse!

It happens all the time.... in more areas than just air suspension. Wive's tales and misconceptions, mainly based off misinformation and misuse of a certain product leads to a bad wrap.

This is probably one of the more common debates in the air suspension realm.

The facts behind it are as follows:

On a sleeved bag the lower composite mount acts as a piston, and as the bag compresses under load the air is displaced by the "piston" and pushes outward on the bag. This yields a pretty linear spring rate throughout its travel. In other words, the spring rate is fairly consistent throughout the bag's travel.

A double convoluted bag has no displacement in it's function, but compresses the air and yields an exponential spring rate (this means the spring rate changes a lot throughout its travel, and as the bag approaches its maximum and minimum limits the rate of change becomes greater and greater). This exponential spring rate would be considered less consistent.

With that said, both bags have their place. A sleeved bag typically has a lower load capacity and is not designed to be levered at a high ratio. Whereas a double convoluted bag has a much greater load capacity and is designed to be levered. In most applications, if the double convoluted bag is NOT levered, the spring rate will be too high and the ride quality will suffer.

Sleeved bags do require a bit more effort to employ when designing/building a rear suspension. Their travel needs to be limited by either a strap or a shock. If not, the crimp can fail and the bag will be ruined. They also are not designed to be used in applications that "hop" or use extreme pressures. They just won't hold up.

Although the sleeved bag does have some fitment advantages, that is the least of its benefits. When used in the proper way, in the proper application, it is the best solution and will outperform a double convoluted bag hands down.

The bad wrap the sleeved bag gets is far from deserved.

Nate

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson