View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 10:11 PM   #16
kipps

Re: Tesla Engine Swap - Who's First?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
I'm into this hobby for the old school stuff. I love messing around with old engines, manual transmissions and etc way too much to move into the newer technology. I just get a ton of satisfaction from a 50 + year old drivetrain working perfectly as it motors along a scenic highway. When I want (or can afford) to roll a Tesla motor, I'll just get the whole vehicle to go along with it.
I'm the opposite. I want the old-school look and feel of a squarebody truck, but with the dependability and driveability of a modern drivetrain. As a bonus, since I'm installing that drivetrain myself, I'll have a very intimate understanding of how to troubleshoot and fix anything that crops up. I enjoy tinkering with computers and programming, so I'm confident that tuning this beast will be right down my alley. At least more so than adjusting carburetors.

So to me, the switch from LS swaps to EV swaps won't be the end of the hobby. I'm sure I'll enjoy the challenges and perks of installing an electric motor. Yes, I will miss the engine growl and the perfectly timed 2nd to 3rd shifts, but I'll get used to even that in time.

I would not buy the entire Tesla by choice. I'd rather have a vehicle that I've built, and that I know through and through. I also enjoy having a truck that turns a few heads because it looks out of place on the roads today.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote