View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 04:09 AM   #108
joedoh

Re: 51 chevy 3100 5 window build

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_moss View Post
I'm trying to get everything as low as possible. The frame is gonna lay out with the running board level to it. And I'm cool with the trans tunnel we do them on almost everything we body drop. Just want the truck to lay hard

my advice is always to mount the body then bag it, for this reason. what 99 is saying is true, the running boards hang below the frame with even taller mounts than yours.

on an s10 frame with normal mounts (slightly taller than yours), you barely need any notch and you dont need dehumped arms, and you dont need much of a tunnel either. if you are setting the frame up to lay on the ground, you can have body mounts almost 7" tall off the frame, and no tunnel at all. if you put the truck together as you have the mounts now, you wouldnt use even an inch of that big notch even with big tires, the frame will be 5-6" off the ground with the running boards on the ground.

do what lower 50s is saying, pop the cab on, pop on a fender, you will see, the bottom of the fender and the running boards will be way below the frame.

better to find out now than get down the road. or get down the road, experience is a great instructor, probably the best.

edit: its worth saying too that the front sheetmetal gets really hard to mount the lower you put the body on the frame, the frame horns end up around the middle of the grille and you need a reaaaly short radiator.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393

Last edited by joedoh; 03-24-2017 at 04:19 AM.
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote